photo:my foot shop
Last time I had Shin splints was in High School when I played volleyball and soccer. Now that I am a little older and I have been running more. I have had a little aching joints here and there but not until this last few days where I noticed my Right shins were bothering me. That never stopped me from running this past 4th of July weekend and yesterday.
I went to work today, I was limping. I was compensating a LOT. I finally talked to one of my friends at work, Gigi an Outpatient Physical Therapist and asked her for some "questions". I was a little in DENIAL, but the way she nodded her Head, it was literally written on her forehead "YOU HAVE SHIN SPLINTS". I refused to accept it.. Why? So many reasons. Then the Director came out and talked to us, she asked me a few questions. I felt like I was their patient. So back to my answer "I refuse to accept I have shin splints". Because I know how to prevent it but I didn't. I also told them that it is always easy to be the therapist but once you are a patient it is just so hard to accept it. So here were some of the questions we frequently asked our patients.
- Where does it hurt? Right front leg
- Did you increase your running pace? Yes
- Did you increase your distance? Yes
- Have you increased your mileage in your shoes? YES!!!!!!
- Do you have long distance and short distance running shoes? YES..and they are my favorite running shoes, They are very expensive and I refuse to buy new ones!!!!
- Did you change your route? YES
- They were so nice to just nod and smile, but deep inside I am sure they wanted to tell me this....No wonder you are suffering now!!!